Great opportunity in a friendly and professional team for an experienced Accounting Specialist, a lover of figures, passionate about their job, as well as a reliable team player!
If you are analytical, self-motivated, very organized , computer savvy, collaborative, and a great communicator: please read further!
Schedule: Monday through Friday, any time between 8 am and 5:30 pm.
Wages: $19.00 per hour and up, depending upon experience.
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR ACCOUNTING SPECIALIST
Under direction of the Chief Financial Officer, the Accounting Specialist prepares the monthly general ledger accounting, accounts payable and revenue reports of the Zoo and provides primary assistance to the Chief Financial Officer and H.R & Administrative Associate.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES include the following:
General Ledger Accounting
- Processes accounts payable including obtaining manager approval, account codes, reviews and inputs.
- Works with Chief Financial Officer to prepare monthly bookkeeping.
- Compiles and analyzes recurring and non-recurring financial information to prepare entries to document business transactions.
- Prepares monthly journal entries to properly record the Zoo’s operations, assets, liabilities, income and expenses.
- Produces reports from various online software and correctly records sales and deposits.
- Prepares fixed asset and depreciation schedules.
- Updates investment and other reports.
- Reconciles balance sheet accounts and prepares schedules in a timely manner.
- Prepares bank reconciliations.
- Assists in the preparation of reports for auditors and other regulatory agencies.
- Reviews and inputs weekly check deposits.
- Reviews and inputs daily revenue reports.
- Maintains files of accounts payables.
- Prepares various tax filings as directed.
- Maintains and produces accurate 1099 vendors list; acquires W-9s as needed, submits 1099s and other tax related forms to respective recipients and IRS.
- Adheres to the Zoo’s policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Policy Manual.
- Attends all-employee meetings.
- Attends bi-weekly administrative staff meetings.
- Trains as backup resource to Receptionist and Teller.
- Assists with other administrative functions as assigned.
- Participates in special team or individual assignments as assigned.
- Participates in planning of employee functions and activities as required.
- Interacts with Zoo volunteers to assist with creating a rewarding experience.
- Participates in Zoo special events for volunteer groups, members, media, special interest groups, and the Board of Directors.
- Applies green practices and procedures as much as possible.
- Greets every guest with a smile.
- Thanks guests for supporting and visiting the Zoo.
- Answers phone calls, voice mails, and e-mails promptly.
- Insures the Zoo’s presentation standards for cleanliness and maintenance are met by keeping work area clean, picking up trash, and reporting unsafe or unsightly conditions.
- Associates with guests to share information and assist.
- Responds to all guest inquiries, complaints, and comments according to Zoo guest relations procedures.
- Maintains a clean neat appearance and adheres to the Zoo’s uniform dress code.
- Takes responsibility to stay informed about happenings at the Zoo such as reading employee communications and attending meetings.
- Reflects the qualities outlined in the Guest Relations Statement and the Employee Pledge.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements and environmental characteristics described below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability, and working and physical elements required of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- College level Accounting courses or degree and minimum 2 years related paid experience
License, Certification, or Preferred Qualifications:
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record is desirable.
- Successful completion of a Department of Justice background check.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping principles, processes and practices.
- Must be familiar with word processing, database, and spreadsheet software and be computer
- Ability to interact within a team, excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to approach challenges systematically and solve recurring problems
- Understand the ‘big picture’ while problem solving and have the ability to generate multiple solutions.
- Ability to follow oral and written direction.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to develop productive and friendly relationships at work.
- Ability to interact courteously and respectfully with supervisors, fellow employees, volunteers, and our guests.
- Ability to exercise safe work habits.
- Ability to be calm and collected at all times, and ability to work well under pressure.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
- Requires the ability to access all areas of the facility.
- Regularly required to stand, walk, sit, and use tools.
- Ability to lift at least 30 pounds in course of normal duties occasionally.
- May involve working out-of-doors in all weather conditions.
- Supportive and open employment culture.
- Ability to work effectively in a shared open space environment while discussions/calls are taking place.
- Personal Computer and software (MS Great Plains Dynamics, NCRCounterpoint, Outbound Online Software, Time Force, Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Two-way Radio
- Standard office equipment; telephone, copier, fax machine, calculator, and others as required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Santa Barbara Zoo
Join our fun and professional team in our mission of preservation, conservation, and enhancement of the natural world and its living treasures through education, research, and recreation!
The Santa Barbara Zoo is a private 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, and is a fully accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. It is known as one of the world’s most beautiful zoos, and is located on 30 acres of lush botanic gardens overlooking the Pacific Ocean, Andree Clark Bird Refuge and Santa Ynez Mountains. It is home to over 146 species with more than 500 animals exhibited in open, naturalistic habitats. Our wonderful collaborative team includes up to 220 employees and 500 volunteers.
Company Website: www.sbzoo.org
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)