An exciting opportunity exists for a full-time Associate veterinarian at Santa Barbara Zoo. The Associate veterinarian is responsible for providing comprehensive medical care to all animals at the Santa Barbara Zoo, working closely with and reporting to the Director of Animal Care & Health.
The essential functions include:
- Maintain the health of the animal collection by performing routine, preventative, and emergency care, anesthesia, surgery, diagnostics, prescribing medication, conducting clinical pathology and post mortem examinations.
- Co-ordinate and implement the preventative medicine program, including quarantine.
- Ensure smooth and efficient day to day operation of veterinary services and the hospital.
- Maintaining computerized medical records and other necessary documentation.
- In collaboration with the Director of Animal Care & Health, evaluate and improve the animal health program.
- Supervise veterinary technicians and veterinary assistants.
- Supervise and evaluate veterinary students, technician students and interns.
- Develop and provide training to zoo staff and volunteers as needed.
- Participate in research and conservation programs.
- As necessary, assist in managing the commissary operations, evaluate nutrition programs and diet formulations.
- Provide input on animal husbandry, enrichment and training, reproductive programs, exhibit design, emergency escape protocols.
- Provide advice and assistance to external partners as needed and work collaboratively with regulatory agencies.
- Ensure compliance to all regulatory standards such as local, state, federal regulations and AZA standards.
- Effective communication skills to maintain a positive culture of collaboration with veterinary staff, curators and animal care staff, and other staff to ensure high quality animal health and welfare, and to attain relevant goals for the zoo.
- Keep the Director of Animal Care & Health informed of all key issues in a timely manner.
- Graduation with a DVM or equivalent professional degree from an approved/accredited College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Minimum of two years of paid experience working in a zoo or wildlife facility, or completion of an ACZM approved residency program, or post-graduate training in zoological medicine.
- License to practice veterinary medicine in the State of California or eligibility to obtain California State licensing
- USDA veterinary accreditation & DEA license.
- Valid Californian driver’s license
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including week-ends, holidays, after-hours assignments as needed and provide on-call coverage.
Schedule: Exempt, Full Time (40 hours/work week)-
Compensation: Salary of $80,00- 85,000 DOE.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Santa Barbara Zoo
Join our fun and professional team in our mission of preservation, conservation, and enhancement of the natural world and its living treasures through education, research, and recreation!
The Santa Barbara Zoo is a private 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, and is a fully accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. It is known as one of the world’s most beautiful zoos, and is located on 30 acres of lush botanic gardens overlooking the Pacific Ocean, Andree Clark Bird Refuge and Santa Ynez Mountains. It is home to over 146 species with more than 500 animals exhibited in open, naturalistic habitats. Our wonderful collaborative team includes up to 220 employees and 500 volunteers.
Company Website: www.sbzoo.org
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)