Are you a train enthusiast who enjoys working outdoors? Are you a storyteller who enjoys educating and interacting with the public?
Consider joining the Railroad Engineer Team! Provide a “tour around the world” in under 10 minutes by educating guests about exotic animals from around the world, talking about local wildlife and sharing a bit of the Zoo’s history! The Train Engineer facilitates a positive, educational and safe guest experience, connecting guests with our animals.
- Must be at least 18 years of age, self-motivated, and have a positive attitude
- Must complete a satisfactory DOJ background check, have valid current CA Driving License and a clean driving record
- Basic knowledge of hand tools and mechanical maintenance are necessary, as well as an outgoing and friendly personality, great communication skills and capability to multi-task
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. occasionally, climb stairs or ladders, and manipulate basic tools of the job
- Must be comfortable approaching guests and initiating conversation
- Must be available to work some weekdays, weekends, holidays, evenings, and during the Santa Barbara Zoo’s busy seasons
Schedule: Weekdays, weekends, holidays, and some evenings, up to 25 hours/week, usually between hours of 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Compensation: $11.00 per hour & up DOE
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Santa Barbara Zoo
Join our fun and professional team in our mission of preservation, conservation, and enhancement of the natural world and its living treasures through education, research, and recreation!
The Santa Barbara Zoo is a private 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, and is a fully accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. It is known as one of the world’s most beautiful zoos, and is located on 30 acres of lush botanic gardens overlooking the Pacific Ocean, Andree Clark Bird Refuge and Santa Ynez Mountains. It is home to over 146 species with more than 500 animals exhibited in open, naturalistic habitats. Our wonderful collaborative team includes up to 220 employees and 500 volunteers.
Company Website: www.sbzoo.org
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)